FCC Licensing

FCC Licensing

Texas Radios, LLC can help you with the FCC Licensing process from start to finish.

The FCC is responsible for managing and licensing the electromagnetic spectrum for commercial users and for non-commercial users including: state, county and local governments. This includes public safety, commercial and non-commercial fixed and mobile wireless services, broadcast television and radio, satellite and other services. In licensing the spectrum, the Commission promotes efficient and reliable access to the spectrum for a variety of innovative uses as well as promotes public safety and emergency response. The FCC collects regulatory fees and processing fees. Congress authorizes our authority to impose and collect such fees. Application processing fees are deposited in the U.S. Treasury and are not available to the FCC. Types of Fees FCC Collects Application Processing Fees for licenses, equipment approvals, antenna registrations, tariff filings, formal complaints (not ordinary complaints), and other authorizations and regulatory actions.

Why do I need one?

Private Wireless Licensees' Obligations Under Section 310(d) of the Communications Act of 1934

Personal radio services are short-range, low-power radio communications using a device or devices that operate much like walkie-talkies. Personal radio services include one- and two-way voice services, data transmission and transmissions that operate equipment by remote control. Personal radio services devices generally do not rely on transmission towers or other equipment. Some types of personal radio services, especially those using very high frequency (VHF) and ultra high frequency (UHF) radio spectrum, encounter significantly less static, noise and fading than CBs or walkie-talkies. The most popular types of personal radio services are Citizens Band Radio Service (CB), Family Radio Service (FRS), General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS), Low-Power Radio Service (LPRS) and Multi-Use Radio Service (MURS). Of these types of services, only GMRS requires an FCC license to operate.

Private land mobile radio systems are used by companies, local governments, and other organizations to meet a wide range of communication requirements, including coordination of people and materials, important safety and security needs, and quick response in times of emergency. These systems, which often share frequencies with other private users, make possible many day-to-day activities that people across the United States have come to rely on, whether directly or indirectly. Public safety agencies, utilities, railroads, manufacturers, and a wide variety of other businesses - from delivery companies to landscapers to building maintenance firms - rely on their business radio systems every day. The services included in Private Land Mobile are Public Safety, Industrial/Business, Private Land Mobile Paging, and Radiolocation. Private Land Mobile Radio Service licensees in the 150-174 MHz and 421-512 MHz bands are subject to the Commission's January 1, 2013 deadline to migrate to narrowband (12.5 kHz or narrower) technology. Information concerning narrowbanding migration and compliance is available at the Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau's narrowbanding webpage.

How do I get one?

Applications requiring frequency coordination in accordance with § 90.175 must first be submitted to the proper frequency coordination committee, which will subsequently forward them to the FCC electronically.

Licensing Process

1. Gathering Information

Preparing to License outlines the important information about your radio system that you gather before you contact a frequency coordinator.

2. Frequency Coordination

Frequency coordinators are FCC certified to recommend the most appropriate frequencies for applicants in the designated Part 90 radio services. Applications for new frequency assignments, changes to existing facilities or operation at temporary locations must include a showing of frequency coordination.

3.Filing Your Application

New applications and other actions which require frequency coordination are normally filed with the FCC through the recognized frequency coordinator. Other actions such as minor modifications or administrative updates may be filed with the FCC through the Universal Licensing System (ULS). For new users, you can learn more about ULS online systems through its getting started tutorials.

4. Immediate Operation

There are two ways to begin immediate operation of your system. The FCC implemented a licensing procedure for Conditional Authority in 1995. You may begin operating your system 10 days after your application is filed with the FCC. In addition, you may apply for a Special Temporary Authority to operate during emergency or other urgent conditions without filing a license application.

5. Notification of Construction

A licensee must notify the Commission that its system is constructed and placed into operation within 12 months of the date of grant or their license will automatically cancel. (See 47 CFR 90.155(a)). Notification is made by filing FCC Form 601 through ULS (Purpose Code: NT). You may also request an extension of the construction period through Form 601 before the expiration of the construction period. This filing must be made within 15 days of the expiration of the applicable construction period. (See 47 CFR 1.946 (d)). You may also request an extension of the construction period through Form 601 (Purpose Code: EX) before the expiration of the construction period. (See 47 CFR 1.946(e)).

6. Renewal of License

You must file for renewal of your license no later than the expiration date of your license period, and no sooner than 90 days prior to expiration by filing FCC Form 601 (Purpose Code: RO) through ULS. (See 47 CFR 1.949). Next »

Before you make any new radio purchase, bring your questions about licensing to Texas Radios, LLC. Texas Radios, LLC can recommend the proper equipment you need to make sure it will meet your needs and we will work with you on appropriate frequency coordination and licensing.

Let Texas Radios, LLC take the headache out of FCC licensing.

Email or call us today to discuss your needs.